Lilac class is a Key Stage 2 class with children from years 3 and 4. The class teacher is Mrs Bones (four days) and Mrs Cornwell (one day). The teaching assistants are Mrs Norton(mornings) and Miss Thomson (afternoons).
Summer Term 2022
Our work in the summer term will include a visit in the first week to Parham Airfield Museum to round off last term’s history topic on World War 2. Our humanities work for the rest of the summer term will be a geography topic on map work particularly focusing on features of East Anglia including land use, the coast and settlements. Mapwork will be reinforced by several orienteering activities in the school grounds.
English work will be based on a short film called Mouse for Sale which some children may have come across during their online work in the first lockdown but which will be covered in much greater depth as a year 3/4 topic. We are also going to be doing a lot of work on poetry which provides many opportunities for developing the use of descriptive language and the effect of our writing on the reader.
In science we will be learning about plants, including learning the functions of different parts of plants, what they need to grow, pollination and seed dispersal. The focus for Design & Technology will be cooking and nutrition.
In maths we will be doing several weeks work on understanding and calculating with fractions and in the area of shape, we will focus on recognising parallel and perpendicular sides and right angles. We will also of course be covering as many of the essential concepts and basic skills for maths as possible and to that same end, we encourage as much use of Times Tables Rockstars as possible to keep children’s multiplicative number facts in tip top shape, particularly for Y4s who will be taking the DfE multiplication check in June.
Other parts of the curriculum planned for this term are:
French - giving directions
Art and Design - mixed media collage inspired by the sea
RE - Christianity: Mission and Sikhism: Equality
PE - striking/fielding (cricket), athletics including Sports Day and orienteering
Computing - coding (using Kodu), simulations and online safety
PSHE - the Jigsaw scheme units for this term are ‘Relationships’ and ‘Changing Me’
Music - ukulele
To find out more about the curriculum in Year 3/4, head to our Curriculum pages on the school website or speak to one of the year 3/4 team.
- Reading: read and discuss your reading with an adult. Please record this in the yellow reading diary.
- Spellings: practise your spellings on Spellzone; you have a Pathway AND a Task set. https://www.spellzone.com/ The Pathway teaches you the spelling patterns you need to know and the Task set is a list of 20 words from your school spelling booklet that were ‘red’ last time we tested you. As you work on these Task words and get them all correct in the TEST area, we will give you some new ‘red’ words to learn.
- Times Tables: learn / practise your times tables on TTRS. https://ttrockstars.com/ As well as helping you to progress through our system of coloured belts towards Super Star Ninja status (or maintain fluency if you have already reached SSN), this should also help you to steadily improve on our weekly times tables tests.
- Drink Bottles: May we remind you that your child needs a water bottle every day.
- PE & Kit: Class PE lessons will be on Wednesdays and Fridays. Please send your child in their PE kit but wearing their school shoes and with their PE footwear and sweatshirt in a bag for them to change into.
Staff in Lilac Class: Mrs Bones teaches from Tuesday to Friday in Lilac class. Mrs Cornwell teaches on a Monday. Mrs Norton (am) and Miss Thomson(pm) are in every day. On Wednesday afternoons, there will be a rotation of activities led by Miss Rowe (French), Mrs Rowe (RE) and a ukulele teacher.